- Not planning ahead. It's important to have a plan in place before you start decorating your kitchen or bathroom. This will help you avoid making very costly mistakes and will help to ensure that your space is functional and stylish. Not only can it save money it will save a lot of time in the long run by spending a little time upfront creating an action plan. Also, consider your decorating design will it be trendy or classic timeless? Trendy may be out the window faster than you know it and it is ok if you like it but consider before you put all the work into something you may get tired of sooner than later.
- Not considering the traffic and workflow. The traffic flow and workflow in your kitchen or bathroom are important to consider when decorating. Ensure that there is enough space for people to move around comfortably and that the appliances and fixtures are easy to access.
- Not using the right materials. The materials you choose for your kitchen or bathroom can make a big difference in the overall look and feel of the space. Choose supplies that are durable, easy to clean, and complement the overall style of your home. For example, if you have floating shelves, a desk, or a countertop make sure you have the appropriate heavy-duty countertop support brackets, it will make a world of difference.
- Not adding enough storage. Storage is essential in any kitchen or bathroom. Make sure to add enough storage for all your belongings, including pots and pans, dishes, towels, and toiletries.
- Not using the correct paint. Flat: This is the most matte finish available, and it provides very little sheen. Flat paint is often used on ceilings and in areas where a smooth, non-reflective surface is desired. Eggshell: This finish is slightly more reflective than a flat paint, but it still has a matte appearance. Eggshell paint is a good choice for walls and trim, as it hides imperfections well. Semi-gloss: This finish is more reflective than eggshell paint and has a slight sheen. Semi-gloss paint is often used on trim and doors, as it is easy to clean and maintain. Gloss: This is the most reflective finish available, and it has a high sheen. Gloss paint is often used on cabinets and other surfaces that need to be easy to clean. Semi-gloss or glossy is good for bathrooms. Satin or eggshell finishes are good for kitchen walls.
- Not choosing the right lighting. The lighting in your kitchen or bathroom can make a big difference in the overall look and feel of the space. Choose lighting that is functionally appealing to your taste, and that provides enough light for you to see clearly in the correct zones.
- Not adding personal touches. Your kitchen and bathroom should be spaces that you love spending time in. Add personal touches to make them feel like your own, such as artwork, plants, or family photos.
By avoiding these common mistakes, you can create a kitchen or bathroom that is both functional and stylish.
Leave a comment